Sunday, January 25, 2009

I've Been Tagged!

I haven't been able to get online for a few days. It's amazing how busy life ends up being at times. I was grateful to get on tonight to catch up on my blog reading. I thought I'd even post something, since it's been such a while.

Imagine my surprise when I read a few friend's blogs and saw that I had been tagged! I decided I'd better do it now, or I'd forget. So, read on. I hope you enjoy my answers, just as I enjoyed theirs!

RULES~
1- Post the rules on your blog.
2- List 6 random things about yourself.
3- Tag 6 people at the end of your post.
4- Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
5- Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Rule #1? Check.

Rule #2? Here goes...

1. I have two single sisters. One lives in the States and travels throughout the world quite frequently. The other is currently living out of the country. She also has an opportunity to travel a bit. They bring me gifts from their travels around the world. I love that! I love to travel; however, I am not in a position to do so at this time. So, I am even more grateful for the gifts they bring me from their travels. I feel like it gives me a taste of other places, even if I don't get to experience it for myself right now.

2. I love to read. I read voraciously. I usually read at least 2 books a week, sometimes more. I know I've been really, really busy if I haven't been able to finish a book in a week. I enjoy reading fiction mostly.

3. I'm auditioning for the role of Mrs. Potts in the Salt Lake Hunter Central Stake production of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast". I haven't been in a production since I was a senior in high school. I'm actually really, really nervous about the acting part of the audition because I was told as a freshman in high school that I am incapable of keeping the action moving along on stage. To quote, "Faster! Jump in with your line! Speak over the person who is speaking!" And then, after I delivered my lines: "That wasn't fast enough! Do it again!" I didn't get the role of Chava in "The Fiddler on the Roof" my junior year because the director remembered that and wouldn't give me another chance, even though the dance director and choral director were confident that I could pull it off and really fought for me. I expect that I've learned a few things over the years. Maybe I won't freeze up? We'll see.

4. I LOVE being a Girl Scout leader. I love the Girl Scout program. I love tailoring the program to fit the girls that are participating with us. I love seeing the girls join together and participating together and learning and growing together. I work very hard with the other leaders to make our troop meetings and activities fun and inviting. I want them to feel safe with me and with what we are doing. I attended a Leader Training day-long workshop thing (what do you call them?) and learned through an exercise there (an Aha! moment) that I have great memories of my experiences in Girl Scouts as a girl because I felt safe there. I wasn't asked to be a miniature adult. I was allowed to be a girl who was whatever age I was at the time. It was very, very hard for me to give up being a Girl Scout when I was 12 and in the 7th grade. I remember fighting my mom about it for a long time. I was very jealous of my friend who was able to continue. I wanted to be with her so badly! I'm very grateful that I get to be an adult leader and share my love for the program with other girls. I was so glad when Lyssa was born. I planned almost from day 1 to get involved with Girl Scouts with her. I'm glad that we get to play together in that way.

5. When my dad was getting ready to remarry, he called me to tell me about my stepmother-to-be and about her family. There are 5 children in my family -- 4 girls and 1 boy (in the middle). There are 5 children in her family -- 4 boys and 1 girl (in the middle). I reminded my dad that I had always wanted an older brother and asked, "How old is the oldest boy?" I was informed that I am STILL the oldest. Argh!!!!!

6. Growing up in Chicago meant that we made a lot of trips across the country to visit family in Utah and Idaho. It seemed to be that no matter where we went, my dad would find someone that he knew. Once, we had just crossed into Wyoming and stopped to get gas at the tiniest place just off the highway. My dad went in to pay for it, and didn't come back for a very long time. My mom was about to send one of us in to find out what was up, when he returned to the car. He had recognized the clerk inside as a person he had attended high school with. It started to be a family joke: "We can't take you anywhere!" In college, twice I was a member of a dance team that went to Europe. The second year, my sister and I were able to be roommates when we stayed with host families in Holland. While there, one of the guys on the team was excited because a person he had baptized to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, while serving a mission in Sweden (or Norway -- can't remember exactly), came to visit him. My sister and I started visiting with this guy and learned that he had family that lived in the Chicago area. As we visited more, we figured out that his aunt and our mom worked at the same company! I enjoyed having a story to tell my dad so that he could say back to me "We can't take you anywhere!"

Rule #3? I tag Lara, Alayna, Russell, Ryan, Heather, and Amy.

Rule #4? Will do.

Rule #5? Will do.

Thanks for reading my random thoughts. I hope you don't feel there was TMI!

~Bobi

3 comments:

Lia said...

Those were fun!

Lara said...

I got your tag - I'll do it for my next blog! YEAH FOR YOUR AUDITION!!! I'm so excited for you. I'm totally cheering you on too!!!!

RawBoneinLA said...

i'm intrigued that you identify 2 of your sisters as "single" (the only other person I know who does that is your father). Not sure what that means or why that's related to their travel habits :-)