Friday, March 6, 2009

"I Like Myself"

The other evening, after Lyssa finished freshening up prior to that evening's activities, she came to me and said:

"Mom, I've decided that there is more to me than being pretty. I'm smart and funny. I LIKE myself. I mean, I'm pretty, too, but there really is more to me than just that."

I told her that I agreed with her and that I was really glad she likes herself. I encouraged her to take a few minutes and write down her thoughts and feelings so she could remember in the future. (She did.)

Later that night, she told me that at her last Up With Kids rehearsal, one of the directors had encouraged the students to go home and look themselves in the mirror each day and tell themselves "I like who you are and what I see". That was the impetus for the above.

I am very grateful for kind, thoughtful, caring people in my daughter's life who are helping her with her self-esteem. I'm grateful that she is open enough to listen and confident enough in herself to take it to heart and own it.

~Bobi

1 comment:

Jill said...

Good for Lyssa, out of all the problems girls have to deal with if they can get past that then the others become easier.