Those who know me know that I love to read. I always have a book that I am reading. The current book goes with me everywhere. I read every possible moment. I am even a member of a couple of book clubs.
This morning, as I was reading in the criptures, it really hit home with me about how much I love to read! I love the printed word. I enjoy learning new things. I enjoy being entertained. I enjoy trying to figure out the mystery. I love that there are so many books to be read. I am so grateful for authors who have thoughts that they put down on paper and turn them into books that I can read. I love that there are so many books out there that were written a long time ago (think Little Women or Anne of Green Gables) that are timeless.
I am currently reading the second book in a series. The series, and the name of the first book, is called The Mother-Daughter Book Club. The second book is called Much Ado About Anne.
Funny side note: Lyssa and I have participated in a Mother/Daughter Book Club sponsored by the County Library system for the last 4 years. We read The Mother-Daughter Book Club for our last meeting in May. We were at Grandma Camp's house, getting ready to leave to go to our last meeting. We had been talking about our Mother/Daughter Book Club. Grandma asked if we had read the book. We said yes. She asked the name of the book. Lyssa said, "The Mother-Daughter Book Club." Grandma said, "I know. What was the name of the book?" Lyssa said again, "The Mother-Daughter Book Club." I started laughing, because I realized that Grandma thought Lyssa was still talking about where we were going and didn't realize that she was now saying the name of the book!
Anyway, the first book is a story about four girls and their mothers who start a Mother-Daughter Book Club. They took an entire year to read Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. The overall story is about the four girls and their experiences in 6th grade. The author does a good job of relating experiences from Little Women to the four girls and the experiences they are having. In the second book, the girls and their mothers are reading the Anne books by L.M. Montgomery. The author is again using quotes and experiences from the Anne books as she tells the continuing story of the four girls who are now in 7th grade. I was thinking about how these books (the Anne books and Little Women) were written 100 years ago or more, and yet the messages and the experiences are still applicable to today.
The same thing happens with the scriptures. Isn't it great that the things we read today that were written hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years ago still apply today? I guess truth is truth, no matter where you find it!
~Bobi

2 comments:
Amen to the last paragraph! Kowhai loves the Percy Jackson series and just finished the last one. Now we need to find something new for her to read. She's picky. I love the idea of a Mother and Daughter book club. Hmmm?
We are so glad you love to read. You come by it naturally because both of your parents love to read. and the great lessons you receive from books written years ago, indeed are timeless. So glad that this impression from the Spirit helps you to appreciate the marvelous teachings of the Scriptures that you so love. So do your parents!
Post a Comment