Saturday, October 31, 2009

Not Forgotten

Earlier this year, I realized that, come fall, both of my children would be in secondary school. After getting over "I feel so old" and "where has the time gone?", I recognized that my daily schedule would be quite different. I had also been having thoughts about needing to attend the temple on a more regular basis. So, I started thinking about how I might accomplish that. I began to have thoughts about becoming a temple worker.

Just before school began again (which just happened last week, right? -- there is no way it's been 2 months already!), I made an appointment with my bishop and talked to him about becoming a temple worker. After visiting for a bit, he agreed that would be an okay thing for me to do and completed the appropriate paperwork. About a month later, I received a phone call asking me to interview with someone at the temple.

On the appointed day, I arrived at the temple to talk to them about what I could do to serve there. The brother conducting the interview first asked me how long ago I had been divorced. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Apparently, my bishop had indicated that "yes" I had been divorced, instead of "no" I had NOT been divorced. I even remember the bishop asking me about it. It went like this: "Blah, blah blah...And, you've never been divorced, right?" "Right". So, he marked "yes". After reassuring the brother at the temple that I have been married for 21 years and never been divorced, he fixed the paperwork and then proceeded.

Next question that caused some concern -- "do you have children at home under the age of 18?" Since the answer is "yes", we had to explore that for a while. He explained that the Brethren feel very strongly about having mothers with children in the home be at home when the children are. I told him that my husband was supportive of my desire to serve in the temple and would help get them out the door to school, if necessary. Also, as my children left very early in the morning for school, my desire was to serve in the temple in the morning so as to be home when they returned home from school mid-afternoon.

The brother went on to explain the different positions in the temple where they were looking for help. None of them seemed to really fit. Then, he said, "I see from your background that you have some musical ability." I agreed. He indicated that he believed there was a need for some help playing the organ in the temple. I told him that was something I thought I could do. He promptly took me to meet his wife who tried to contact the sister in charge of the 100+ organists. She told me that there was an opening in the baptistry on Friday mornings from 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. I let her know that I thought that would fit into my schedule just right. She assured me that she would continue to try to get in touch with the sister in charge and have her contact me directly. She told me that the sister had talked to her just that morning because that spot had been open for a while and she wanted to be sure to get it filled as soon as possible.

What I hadn't shared with ANYONE -- not the bishop, not any of the interviewers, not even Brian -- was that, in my heart of hearts, I wanted to play the organ in the temple. Don't get me wrong. I wanted to serve in the temple wherever they needed me the most. However, ultimately, what I really, really wanted to do was to play the organ. I honestly hadn't even prayed too much about it, because I didn't want to be disappointed, if that wasn't where they needed me.

Prior to my interview with the good brother at the temple, I was beginning to feel that Heavenly Father had forgotten about me. I had been "struggling in the faith", as one scripture writer wrote, what with Brian's employment challenges over the past couple of years and my battle with a skin infection called pyoderma gangrenosum which started in February. (It's on the back of my right calf. The ulcer just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It started out about .5 cm by .5 cm. It's now 5.2 cm by 7 cm. The drugs the doctor has me on aren't working. I've been on Prednisone, a steroid, since April, in addition to some other drugs that aren't working. I am still being treated for it and hope to find a resolution soon. Since this post is not about that, on with the narrative...)

As I left the temple and headed for home, I said a prayer of thanks to my Father in Heaven. I realized that He is aware of me, personally. He hasn't forgotten me. He knew what was in my heart of hearts and answered me in a way that let me know that He knows what I desire, and, as it was a righteous desire, He blessed me with it. I felt quite giddy! Even with all the "stuff" going on, He is aware of me, PERSONALLY. I am not alone down here. I can remain strong and faithful. Everything will turn out just right.

Later that evening, the sister in charge of the organists called me to set up an audition. I auditioned the next Monday and began my shift that very Friday. I have played the organ 3 times now, and enjoyed it very much. I have been surprised at the number of youth that are at the temple early on a Friday morning. I look forward to the morning that my own children will get up and go with me.

I am so grateful for this experience and the loving reminder I received. Thank you for letting me share it with you.

~Bobi

4 comments:

HappyCamper said...

Oh how thrilling! You are such an amazing woman. AND, you are so right, Father does know you PERSONALLY! You are being so blessed by Him. Yes there are challenges and difficulties, but none that you can't handle. And, you are handling them. Those special children will soon be willing to make the effort to be with Mom sometime as she plays the organ at the temple. Sure love you!

By the way, Pat was "so touched" (her words) by the sweet and candid letters sent to her as birthday gifts. Please thank them for her. The pictures of them are amazing also.

Kim said...

I'm so happy for you. What a lovely post....I too struggle with wondering if HE remembers me....thank you thank you for sharing.

Deb said...

Wow! That is an amazing post. Thanks for the reminder. It seems that we all forget sometimes.

maeveinthecity said...

how awesome! you are such an inspiration of faith and love!! i can always count on your amazing example. i am so happy you are able to have your dream temple job!
xo